I love Trader Joe’s. They just make everything so much easier when it comes to sticking to a JERF lifestyle. Did you guys know that they have ZERO products with GMO ingredients enter their door? I had no clue, but I’m so glad that all this time I have been putting my buck towards a store that aligns with my values.
When it comes to adopting Whole30/Paleo way of eating, this store makes it super easy and affordable. Living in the city my only other good option would be Whole Foods, but to me, that store really only has those “nice to have” ingredients like coconut aminos and fish sauce. And plus, you can buy those on Thrive Market at a super duper discount along with some other paleo pantry staples without having to leave your humble abode.
But unless you live on a farm, you’re going to have to visit a grocery store to stock up on fresh and frozen items to make meals. My choice will almost always be Trader Joe’s. Unless there is a Wegmans. But still, I like how TJ’s makes choices so easy for you when it comes to staying healthy and making sound decisions in the grocery aisle. No displays of Cheez-Its or Oreos jumping out at you!
Especially when you’re only on day 2 of your September Whole30, you don’t want to even see Oreos.
And if you haven’t noticed, TJ’s are so much smaller than your normal mega-mart, which means you get in and get out in so much more time! Nick and I have gotten in and out in less than an hour for a full weekly trip. It’s a dream.
So hopefully I’ve convinced you to go to your local TJ’s and round up some of my favorites to help feed you during your Whole30
- Other than the obvious, TJ’s has a wide variety of already pre-cut/shredded options for those who are super stretched on time or are lazy!
- Broccoli slaw
- Shredded carrots
- Pre-washed lettuce
- Shredded brussel sprouts
- Pre-cut butternut squash
- Cut and trimmed beets
- All free-range, organic options are best, but I get budgets :)
- Applegate brand hot dogs
- Garlic Herb Chicken Sausage
- Tahini Sauce (great adding to salads)
- Coconut milk
- Coconut cream
- Almond Butter
- Sunflower Seed Butter
- Vegetable broth – others have sugar in them (UGH)
- Garlic Chipotle
- Hot Chipotle
- Roasted Garlic
- Canned Goods
- Sardines in EVOO
- Coconut Oil – don’t get bother with the spray
- Balsamic vinegar – check for sulfites!
- Apple cider vinegar
- Raw is best – roasted tends to have some sort of oil on top of it that you don’t want!
- Dried Fruit
- Medjol dates
- Freeze dried berries, bananas and mango
- Crispy Broccoli Florets
- Breasts, Thighs, Chili Chipotle Burgers, Turkey Burgers
- Grassfed, Grassfed Burgers
- Salmon, shrimp, scallops, various fillets
- Seafood blend
- Various assorted
- Cauliflower rice
- Other assorted
- Any other TJ’s items that I’m missing?
- Do you prefer big grocery stores or smaller ones like TJs?